Over that past 2-years I have been gaining weight, 6 lbs to be exact. Which doesn’t sound like a big deal, but I am pretty petite so any weight gained shows. Gaining weight isn’t the problem though, because weight gain can be due to fat or muscle. I knew that the latter wasn’t the case for me so in December I went to the campus wellness center and had my body fat percentage (BMI/Skin fold) taken. I would encourage anyone who is wanting to get into shape to get their skin fold taken. It will show you how fit you are and if your weight is fat or muscle. Be careful because there are a lot of “BMI’s” online- don’t try to use these, they won’t give you accurate information, you need to go to a health facility to have a correct BMI/skin fold taken.
My percent was at 24%! I couldn’t believe it, I have always been an active person but my fault was I wasn’t as health conscious as I should be. After seeing this it really woke me up to reality that I need to focus on the things I am eating and make time to exercise regularly. I began my journey to a healthier life-style in December and so far have lost those pesky 6 lbs and my body fat percentage has gone down 3%!
The past few months I have been trying cooking and baking substitutes for a healthier but delicious life-style.
Today I noticed our bananas were going bad so I made peanut butter chocolate-chip banana bread, with a few baking swaps it came out to be only 135 calories!
- 3 bananas
- 5.3oz (1 serving) plain greek yogurt (Replaces butter)
- 1/3c crunchy peanut butter
- 113g (1 serving) apple sauce, no sugar added (Replaces eggs)
- 2 TBS margarine, melted
- 3/4c pure maple syrup (Replaces sugar)
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour (Replaces white flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2c semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine first 6 ingredients
- Stir in flour
- Combine remaining ingredients
- For to-go breakfast bake in cupcake pan, don’t forget to line or spray! Bake for 15 mins.
- For bread bake in 9 x 5-inch don’t forget to spray! Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes, remove from oven; cool